The Waiting Game

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Lately I have found myself just waiting, and I'm beginning to get more than a little antsy.  Ever since graduating college I have been finding it very difficult to find a job.  I know that I am just one of the many number of college graduates that are experiencing this problem.  However, my problem is not just that people aren't hiring employees, its that they aren't hiring music therapists (which is what I am certified in).  After a lot of struggling, I finally managed to find a little bit of work in my field, but its still very shaky.  So, last year, after talking to my husband, praying about it, and seeking advice from parents and friends, I made the very scary and difficult decision to make a career change.  For me this means I need to go back to school to get a masters degree in Occupational Therapy.  I am super excited about the whole thing, and have been spending the past year taking all of my pre-requisites and applying to schools.  Now all I have left to do is wait and see where I am accepted.

Waiting to find out where I will be going to be living next has never made me so anxious before.  All throughout my life I have moved around (a lot) and have always thought of it as exciting.  This time I am still excited, but my feelings are a little different.  Before I was not all that concerned about having a place to call home, but I find that as I grow up, I have been looking for some place I can claim to be from.  For the first time I have begun to desire roots to plant down and the first step in my mind will be to know where I am heading so that I can begin planning (I am a planner).

I have always felt awkward not being able to clearly tell people where I am from (since I'm not really FROM anywhere) and I have been looking to change that.  However, the other day during my devotional time, I came across the chapter in Matthew where Jesus began to call His disciples to follow Him.  For those who are familiar with this scripture story, I don't want you to overlook the most amazing part of this story.  Simon Peter, Andrew, James, and John dropped their nets and followed Jesus IMMEDIATELY.  Just think about that for a minute.  They didn't say, "Ok, but let me tie up loose ends at home first", or question getting uprooted from their homes.  Honestly, getting uprooted is one of the most difficult part about following God's calling when He calls you away from home.  So, when I think about things, I realize that I am actually blessed to not have any roots holding me down.

I know that I am called to missions and being able to follow God's call immediately is the obedient act that God expects from me (from everyone really).  So, my conclusion is that I don't need to worry about having a place to call "home" because this world is not my home anyway.  Rather, I am praying that Daniel and I have a listening ear and an obedient heart so that we will hear and be ready to go immediately when God leads us to our next destination (wherever in the world that may be).

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you had been doing all this! I completely understand and am actually going through a similar situation right now. Praying for you and Daniel to have peace and patience during this time of waiting. Love you guys! -Jaime Hatcher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflections Bethany. Hugs from Aunt Jeri!

    ReplyDelete